Yesterday was dark, cold, and really wet. It was a soup day. Here is what I came up with.
- good large head of broccoli. Use just the florets.
- two good sized leeks, cleaned and ribboned.
- 2 gloves garlic peeled and chopped
- three medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup rice milk (or milk of choice)
- about tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- a bunch of shakes of Italian spices
*sorry the pictures are so bad…out kitchen lighting is not great and the grey day did not help;-)
Heat olive oil in large pot over medium high heat. Add pepper and Italian seasoning. Cook for about 2 minutes until you can smell them. Add leeks and garlic and cook until softened.
Add broccoli florets and potatoes and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add water, milk, salt, and lemon juice.
Bring to a boil. When boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover and let simmer until you can mush the broccoli up against the side of the pot with a spoon. About 30 minutes. When cooked, use immersion blender to blend and smooth the soup. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can use a blender. You just may need to make it in a couple of batches. Taste for seasoning. Drizzle some good olive oil on top of each bowl of soup. So simple.